JSC «Zelenodolsk Plant named after A.M. Gorky»
Russian Federation, Tatarstan, Zavodskaya St., 5, Tel.: 8 (843‒71) 5‒76‒10, e-mail: info@zdship.ru

History of the Enterprise

The Joint Stock Company «Zelenodolsk plant named after A.M. Gorky» founded in 1895 is one of the leading enterprise of Russia. The company’s scope of activity comprises shipbuilding, machine-building, ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, manufacturing of equipment for oil-and-gas industry, production of large metal structures and consumer goods.

Kabachishchi village

History of the shipyard’s foundation is closely associated with the development of shipping on the Volga river. At the end of the XIX century Russia felt an increasing demand for building of new ship repair plants and workshops. In 1895 by resolution of the Ministry of Railways of the Kazan Region of Russia in the area of favourable Paratsk creek being located 40 km from Kazan, at the intersection of the Volga-river and Moscow-Kazan railway (the land was leased from peasants of Kabachishchi village), Paratsk ship repair workshops were established. The main purpose of their foundation was repair of technical fleet including drags, pump dredges and auxiliary vessels.

Paratsk ship repair workshops 1907

Foundry, engineering, boiler, forging, and joiner’s shops employing 86 workers were built in 1907. By 1913 ship repair workshops had turned into a streamlined ship repair facility having capacities to construct vessels as well as to perform major repair of steam tugs, barges, and hydraulic dredges up to 100 units per winter.

In 1918 after evacuation of some shops and departments of Baltic and Izhorsky shipyards to Paratsk, ship repair workshops were reorganized into Volzhsk Autonomous Shipbuilding and Engineering Plant of the Naval commissariat.

Paddle-tug, 1930-s

During the civil war in Russia the plant served as a repair facility for Volga fleet ships. It refitted steamships and barges into warships, and by May, 1919 it had commissioned more than 110 vessels. In 1922 the plant was renamed into «Krasny Metallist». By then along with the ship repair activity it had been involved in manufacturing of agricultural equipment, such as winnowing machines, threshing machines, mills, ploughs, cast iron. As a result of reconstruction in 1925-1930 slipway, mold loft, compressor station, hull shop, marine boiler shop, machine-shop, woodworking shop, and forging were put into operation enabling the plant to start an extensive shipbuilding program.

Construction of vessel and boiler shop, 1932

Until 1941 the plant produced dry cargo barges with tonnage up to 1100 – 2300 tons, annually constructed 35-40 units of river paddle tugs with power of 120 – 600 h.p., as well as steam-engines, capstans, pumps and other shipborne machinery. The whole production process, from designing of ships to the delivery of finished products, was performed in-house.

In 1932 by regulation of the General Executive Committee of the Tatar Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic the plant was given another name – Plant named after Alexey Gorky – in honour of the 40th anniversary of literary and public activity of the well-known Russian writer. The first military order for construction of modern for that time river-going armoured boats of projects 1124 and 1125 was placed in 1934. By 1944 the plant had built 154 vessels of this type.

Antisubmarine ships with gas turbine plants, project 204 1960-1968 — 31 units.

During the Second World War 2800 employees out of 5000 had gone to the front. With the help of specialists evacuated from Kiev and Leningrad and equipment delivered from there, the plant continued manufacturing of defence products: armoured boats, small anti-submarine ships, tugs, barges, motor torpedo-boats, as well as 76 mm artillery projectiles, machine-guns, air defence gun mounts, air bomb shells, digging tools, articles for snow planes.

Vessel for physical fields control «Zvuk», 1972-1995 — 11 units.

In 1943 the plant was awarded the Challenge Red Banner of the State Defence Committee for successful production of military equipment and ammunition. The armoured boats constructed by the enterprise received a high appraisal from the Russian Navy. After the war the boats were pedestalled as monuments in such cities as Pinsk, Ismail, Mariupol, and Stalingrad.

Armored boat «Kaluzhni»

The plant was the first in the USSR (1949) to introduce in-line and positional method of shipbuilding. It enabled the enterprise to deliver 25 – 35 vessels annually.

In 1976 a unique shipbuilding complex «Volga» comprising two shops with slipways and non-freezing dock basin was put into operation, enabling the plant to construct ships with the displacement of up to 7000 tons by means of subassembly of enlarged blocks weighing up to 400 tons. Since that time the plant has been able to perform mooring trials of ships all the year round.

River-going passenger motor-vessel «Meteor» of 342e project

Throughout its history the shipyard has built more than 1500 sea- and river-going vessels and ships including nearly 600 warships. They include big and small antisubmarine ships of projects 122b, 201, 201M, 204, communication and auxiliary ships of «Zvuk» type, storm-boats – „Skat“ hovercrafts, floating facilities for tanks, a large series of „Albatros“ antisubmarine ships, as well as patrol boats for the Navy of Germany, Cuba, Yugoslavia, Algeria, and Lybia.

Antisubmarine hydrofoil «Sokol», 1975

In the early eighties the first in the world prototype antisubmarine hydrofoil «Sokol» was delivered. Two missile hovercrafts „Bora“ and „Samum“ having no analogues in the world by that time were built in the nineties. In 2003 the plant delivered the patrol missile ship „Tatarstan“ to the Caspian fleet.

Besides warships the shipyard has constructed a great number of civil ships, namely: cargo motor vessel «Kolkhoznitsa» – 22 units, pushers – 34 units, fishing vessels of project 1375 – 10 units, fishing vessels of project 1361 – 37 units, ocean-going refrigerator carriers of project 1351 – 4 units. Since 1961 more than 300 units of high-speed passenger hydrofoils „Meteor“ have been delivered; they are operated on the rivers of Russia and CIS countries as well as Poland, Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, and China.

Patrol missile ship «Tatarstan

In addition to shipbuilding, the plant possesses highly-developed engineering facilities, operates a powerful foundry facility. They contribute to production of wide range of shipboard equipment (propellers, capstans, winches, shafting lines, anchors) for the whole shipbuilding cycle and products for gas-and-oil industry.

Vacuum furnace NEVA-5

Titanium foundry, which is the largest in Europe, was put into operation in 1967. Since 1995 the plant has entered the world market of titanium castings. The titanium shop is equipped with 12 vacuum titanium melting furnaces capable to melt any grade of titanium and special steel alloys with improved physical and mechanical properties. The plant was the first in Russia to master manufacturing of bridge superstructures of large blocks with assembly and mounting of blocks performed on building berth. In 1997 — 2001 the plant had produced about 12000 units of bridge structures for construction of the first part of the bridge over the Kama-river in the area of Sorochi Gori.

Titanium foundry

In May, 2003 the State-owned Unitary Enterprise «Zelenodolsk plant named after A.M. Gorky» was reorganised into the Joint Stock Company „Zelenodolsk plant named after A.M. Gorky“.

Bridge over the Kama-River

In 2004 construction of fast river-going passenger ferries of A45 project for JSC «Lena United River Shipping» (Yakoutsk) was started. The designer of the vessel is OOO „AGAT DESIGN BUREAU“. The ferry is designed for fast conveyance of crew and passengers on inland waterways up to 650 km long. Fitting A45 with special devices (interceptors) providing optimal running trim of the vessel proved to be one of its distinctive features.

In 2004 -2005 the JSC «Zelenodolsk plant named after A.M. Gorky» manufactured superstructures for „Millennium“ bridge which connects urban districts of the city of Kazan which are located both on left and right banks of the Kazanka-river.

Fast river-going passenger vessel of A45 project «Lena»

The bridge has become a part of a smaller Kazan Ring Road. It helped to reduce traffic streams in the central part of the capital of Tatarstan. The bridge capacity is 10-15 thousand cars per day.

«Millennium» bridge over the Kazanka river in Kazan

At present the JSC «Zelenodolsk plant named after A.M. Gorky» is an enterprise possessing high level technology and equipment, up-to-date control devices and quality system, highly qualified staff producing a wide range of different-purpose products and has a high export potential.